Flashback Friday: June 1976

I love old photos and the memories they evoke. Since no one is able to graduate during this time, I thought I'd share images of me, 44 years ago at my Jr. High School graduation.

Wow, there is so much this photo conjures. Just days before this was taken, I finally had my orthodontic braces removed, an accessory I had for 4 ½ years. My mom made my much loved dress and it was during a fitting that she discovered something was wrong with my spine. We found out later that month that I had scoliosis, which would again brace me, but this time I only had to wear my brace for the next 2 ½ years. I've shared that story before. Now though, when I look at the Denise in this photo, I remember a giddy girl being so excited to be promoting and going on to high school. Life was so full of promise. New dress. New teeth. New adventures.
It also reminds me of the only yearbook signature I can recall which still makes me laugh, "If all the boys were across the sea, what a good swimmer Denise would be!" Oh man, 14 year olds.
Savoring these images causes my heart to feel for those who are missing life's important milestones... those photographed events, whose pictures are dusted off decades later, thus becoming the tools which remind us of a happy time long ago. Here's to unforgettable, highly photographed milestones in the not-too-distant future.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments