Valencia: Our Last Port before Roma...

What a wonderful city to explore, the third largest in Spain. We docked and headed directly to Plaza de La Reina as the start of our discovery of this port town.






The Cathedral, built between the 13th and 15th centuries, is primarily of Gothic style but contains elements of Baroque and Romanesque architecture.


We strolled the ancient winding streets of the Barrio del Carmen, containing buildings dating to Roman and Arabic times.

These two photos are the Post Office. It was the most opulent one I have ever seen. I loved Valencia!


Around every corner was an amazing example of this rich city's history and love of art. Note the faux windows with paintings in them. So cool. We were pleasantly surprised by it all.




I have loved Lladró figurines. To be in the town in which they are created was a huge highlight for me.
I actually wept when I saw this series of figurines. There are three in the series. The quantity of flowers, adorning the couples, depicted their level of love/time together. It is beyond explainable but I don't think I've ever been moved more by a work of art.
And this work of art was my favorite of the street performers we met. It's hard to see the details, but she was spectacular.

I hope these brief glimpses into our cruise have shed some light on how wonderful it has been. We are truly happy with all aspects of this adventure and look forward to what awaits us on land.

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Wow. The art is spectacular. And the street performers are an interesting bunch, aren’t they?
The city looks amazingly well preserved.
You didn’t end up eating any paella! Not a fan?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments