Tahoe Big Year... I'm a Birder!

One of my favorite Tahoe activities is to go out birding with Bob and Jenny. And since I'm seeing birds with them anyway, I thought I might as well join in the competition.

So what is the Tahoe Big Year? Brought to you by the Tahoe Institute for Natural Science, the Tahoe Big Year celebrates the hundreds of bird species that make the Tahoe region their home all year-round, during summer or winter, or while passing through to other destinations.
Beginning January 1st, participants began scouring the Lake Tahoe region in search of as many species of birds as they can find during 2018. It is important to note that this event is not strictly a competition, but an opportunity for the entire community to learn about and experience the Tahoe region's diverse bird community and rich birding opportunities. "We expect that for many participants, of all ages, the Tahoe Big Year will be a gateway into the world of birding itself and a deeper appreciation of the region's natural history."
It is definitely a 'gateway' for me with Bob and Jenny being incredible guides. By the way, these two Pacific Loons were the species Bob was after on our quest.
It couldn't have been a more spectacular day. If there is any question as to why we do this, I believe this image answers that question.
I was introduced to 29 new species today. My head is spinning.



And this Cedar waxwing was Jenny's prize find. I was so content to be along for the hunt.


“The sharp thrill of seeing them reminded me of childhood happiness,
gifts under the Christmas tree, perhaps, a kind of euphoria
we adults manage to shut out most of the time.
This is why I bird-watch,
to recapture what it's like to live in this moment, right now.” 
― Lynn Thomson, Birding with Yeats: A Mother's Memoir

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Wow. Love those pictures! How do Bob and Jenny feel about your having a Big Year, I mean, because you must depend heavily on their expertise... What if you end up seeing more birds!?
I just invested in a Stokes field guide bird book. I want to know more. And I have the time! Kind of.
Good luck on your new mission!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments