The San Diego Zoo Safari Park...

My girlfriend, Karen, does everything with a great deal of pizzazz! So for our day at the Wild Animal Park, we fueled up at Orfila Winery beforehand.


Armed with a picnic lunch and a coupon for six tastings, we devoured the warm temperatures and exceptional view- gleefully.

We then headed to the Safari Park, a 1,000 acre mecca for animal lovers. Opened in 1972, as the Wild Animal Park, it began as a breeding facility for the San Diego Zoo. I've been coming here since it opened and it continues delights every time.
I loved these birds and their knees.


We started our visit by just meandering.




We then boarded the Africa Tram, an exciting half hour expedition which is the best way to see the amazing and diverse animal collection here.
And it seemed to be BABY DAY at the park. So dang cute!


This giraffe is only three weeks old. What a treat to see.

The highlight (and the goal of the day) was to see the new baby tigers at play. One was a baby Bengal tiger that was found when a teenager tried to smuggle it across the border from Mexico (he bought it for $300 from some guy walking down a street). His  playmate is an endangered Sumatran tiger that was rejected by his mother at the Washington DC zoo. Oh my gosh. We stood there for 45 minutes watching them frolic and if the park hadn't been closing, we'd still be there.

This little guy's yawn summed up the day. Oh to play all day and rest contentedly afterward. What awesomeness. I have the most amazing friends who provide me with unforgettable memories. Wow.

posted under |

4 comments:

Karen Booth said...

I'm ready to do it all again today!!!

Nick and Deb's Excellent Adventure said...

Wow what amazing pictures! Looks like a wonderful day! A little jealous!

Four Points Bulletin said...

Did you tell Karen about Codiano Winery? http://aquiahialla.blogspot.com/2017/06/cordiano-winery.html
My aunt and uncle were talking about the baby tigers and how cute they were to watch. I want to go! But I can't...
I am so glad that the border agents caught the guy. Could you imagine what would have happened otherwise? Poor tiger!
I love the knees picture.
Fun day!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Safari Park...we took the grandkids there years ago. They have done a fantastic job with natural animal environments.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments