Memoir Writing: The Coffee Pot

mem·oir
noun
1.
a historical account or biography written from personal knowledge or special sources.

I'm taking a memoir writing class and one of our assignments was to write about an object from our past that evokes memories. Being that I have moved nothing from our past, to Lake Tahoe, this was a difficult assignment for me to accomplish, until I saw this 1960's era coffee pot at Jenny's folks' house.

Growing up, coffee was a big part of my parents' lives, from my earliest recollections. This coffee pot seemed to be the common ground that was the catalyst for my mom and dad to sit and talk. Most of their relationship time seemed to occur in the kitchen, cup in hand, mornings and nights.

It was there, in the kitchen, where I could find them if I got up too early or if bad dreams awoke me. There was comfort in knowing they were there, in a private oasis, to be interrupted only if need be. It was this coffee pot that created the bonding opportunity for them. Life wasn't easy for my parents. We were difficult children, work was unrewarding and their health wasn't good, but I always felt there was a calmness when it was coffee time. To see the same coffee pot, 5o years later, uncovered memories so buried. What a gift that sighting was for me and a story needing to be told.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments