My Piece for Writing Group

Tomorrow is my Talking on Paper Writing Group. Having that deadline always encourages me to actually put pen to paper. Here is my submission.

Starts and Not Finishes

On a recent shopping trip at Target, I spotted a pair of new, shiny black tap shoes. Instantly, I was transported to my early childhood and into my Tap, Ballet, and Baton Twirling Class. I hadn’t thought of  five year old me for a very long time. This memory evoker triggered a series of reminisces of all the things I started and never finished.

To this day, I’m envious of anyone who can play a musical instrument. I could play one had I ‘finished’. My mom dutifully took me to guitar lessons. I could play a mean rendition of Proud Mary but for some reason I stopped.

At one point, we were babysitting a grand piano so my mom signed me up for lessons then. My Hot Cross Buns was impeccable yet again, for some reason that’s as far as I went. I now wonder if my mom quit taking me to various activities, exasperated by my unwillingness to practice these skills to perfection or did I just tire of them? It’s a question I had never thought to ask myself, or my mom when she could have answered.

This quitting mentality didn’t end in early childhood. As I thought more about all I had attempted to do, the list became extensive: Spanish in middle school, French in high school, a teaching credential after college, even a travel agent certification during stay-at-home motherhood.

C.S. Lewis said, “You never know what you can do until you try, and very few try unless they have to.” Well, Mr. Lewis can't say I didn't try. So you will never find me attempting to step, heel drop, brush, shuffle, flap, or ball change. And no, I can't plié, relevé, or pirouette and because I never finished French, I can't even pronounce what I can't do.

I appreciate the accomplishments of those who persevered and mastered their craft though I have to wonder how many things did they attempt but never finished.

Steve asked, "Doesn't it make you sad to draft such a list?" Actually, it truly doesn't. I have a deep sense of gratitude for my mom's attempt at broadening my horizons. I have accepted my limitations and 'not finishes' and at this age, I'd probably just hurt myself if I was to toss a baton around anyway.

I tried. I didn't have to. I quit. I'm good with it. But boy, new, shiny black tap shoes are very adorable (though probably not so much in a size 10).

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments