Art, Thrifting & Mary Poppins

Our 12 hour outing began at the Nevada Museum of Art. It was the Free Second Saturday of the Month Day and we were happy to be a part of it.


After a pause for coffee, we embraced two of the activities which were geared towards children.

Crafting handmade paper began our day with creativity.


Last Night's Folly performed Irish jigs, hosted a sing-a-long, and taught us about unique musical instruments.
The nyckelharpa, a traditional Swedish bowed string instrument, was the coolest. Its name means "key harp" or "keyed fiddle". Dating back to the Middle Ages, it features a wooden keyboard with tangents that act like frets to change the pitch while the player draws a bow across the strings.


Normally, I share a great deal about the art I see. This post is just going to give you a visual glance. We thoroughly enjoyed, and were overwhelmed, by all we saw.


I have to point out this tapestry by Sanaa Gateja. Looking closely reveals that it is composed of rolled, paper beads!
I have made paper beads and they are incredibly time consuming. I just can't believe the amount of time and effort involved in this piece. WOW.
Thomas Deininger's Bee Pollinating Weed Wacker wasn't fully appreciated until I was advised, by a security guard, to step back.
It really is a bee pollinating a weed wacker.













After our explore of the museum, we strolled to lunch at Great Full Gardens and then spent our remaining Reno time at St.Vincent De Paul Thrift Store (with fabulous finds found).
Our evening concluded in Carson City at this pretty nice performing art center.
We were welcomed to The Practically Perfect Mary Poppins, an aerial arts and circus show featuring 34 performers aged 7 to 50. Through aerial silk, lyra, dance trapeze, and ground acrobatic acts, we followed the different characters from this classic story, such as Mary Poppins, Bert, Mr. Banks, and his children, and more. Pieces of music from the Disney movie Mary Poppins, and others, transported us on a unique journey.


This is the actual film's audio played while the performers do their stuff. This really was incredibly unique and very entertaining.






"Live theater is just an incredibly powerful medium,
and I think anyone who goes,
whether they know about it or not,
if they see something that sort of fits with them,
it's kind of hard to deny
that they had a good time."
-Harry Connick, Jr.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments