Summer Book Sale at Our Library
Three times a year, the South Lake Tahoe Library has a sale offering up hundreds of books.
The summer sale seems to be the one I'm most often in town for. The day before the event I volunteer to help get the room ready for the hoards of bibliophiles.
My favorite meme about book 'collecting' has to do with a man complaining about his wive's numerous books. Wife: "I don't have that many. They all fit into one Box!" Husband: "Stop calling our house a BOX!" Hysterical and something I can totally relate to.
The concept of "too many books" is usually met with eye-rolls by Steve and fresh TBR (To Be Read) piles by me. Book lovers typically argue that there is no such thing, often blaming their overflowing shelves instead. The Japanese even have a word for this: tsundoku—the habit of buying books and piling them up without reading them.
Yes, I left with a bag of books. My best treasure was this copy of Walden by Henry David Thoreau. This beautiful book was printed by Easton Press in 1981. This highly collectible "Collector's Editions" features genuine leather bindings, 22kt gold accents, silk moiré endpapers, and raised spines. These vintage editions are prized for their archival-quality paper and sewn bindings. It has been a book I have always wanted to read. What a spectacular edition. I'm very excited.
Enough said!
%20(Medium).jpg)
%20(Medium).jpg)
%20(Medium).jpg)
%20(Medium).jpg)
%20(Medium).jpg)
.png)

0 comments:
Post a Comment