California State Fair!

Our next guest, Julie, arrived at the Sacramento Airport at 3:30 PM and we promptly headed out for the California State Fair.

And what history! The California State Fair began in October 1854 in San Francisco, moving through rotating host cities before finding a permanent home in Sacramento in 1859, expanding to Oak Park in 1909, and finally settling at Cal Expo in 1968.

There's not a lot of commentary needed here. Just enjoy the photo documentation.
It's a good day when one is greeted by Smokey Bear! Have I mentioned I am a sucker for character photos?
Another fun photo opportunity is Fair Food. Oh my gosh! My arteries were clogging just looking at this meal.

We're not quite sure why there were seals there. So strange.
A highlight is ogling all the crafts people submit for judging.
I was so impressed by this handmade, plastic canvas needlepoint chess set by Robyn Wallace. Wow.
Don't even get me started on my amazement for quilts.
Courtney Phillips' Edible Sculpture was absolutely realistic!


I loved the California State Fair mascot, Poppy the Bear, wearing a Postman's uniform at the USPS booth. Poppy plays a crucial role in creating a fun and engaging atmosphere each year at the fair.
I have had a thing for pigeons since going to the American Pigeon Museum & Library in Oklahoma City.
The National Pigeon Association had 15 different breeds on display. Each was so unique and beautiful. Who knew?

A must was to mingle with the farm critters.

It seemed it was Goat Day. We saw more varieties of goats than ever before and they were adorable.




Julie hasn't been here for eight years. I think her stay has started out exceptionally!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments