My First Few Visits to Disneyland...

The nostalgia for Disneyland has been heightened by Richard Snow's book Disney's Land: Walt Disney and the Invention of the Amusement Park That Changed the World. I don't have many photos of my youth, yet thankfully, my first few trips to the "Happiest Place on Earth" were documented.

This image is the only one I have of my very first trip to the Magic Kingdom. I am guessing I am maybe three.

My parents were not great at photo documenting our lives. Candid glimpses of our fun, from trip number 2 (age 6), are still incredibly special to me.

And here's my mom doing as Walt intended when he proclaimed, “The idea of Disneyland is a simple one. It will be a place for people to find happiness and knowledge. It will be a place for parents and children to share pleasant times in one another’s company; a place for teachers and pupils to discover greater ways of understanding and education. Here the older generation can recapture the nostalgia of days gone by, and the younger generation can savor the challenge of the future.”

I am guessing I'm about ten here. What stands out in my mind, about this day, is the fact that my brother stepped on the back of my sandal and broke it. There was no way I was going to make it through an entire day at the Park so we headed to Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes where the trading post sold real leather moccasins. Wow, that was so cool.
What a difference in 50+ years of my Disneyland. I so wish I could be there now. Walt's message is as true today as it was 65 ½ years ago, when the park opened. “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past… and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America… with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

If it makes you feel any better I have no pictures from Disneyland, and we went a few times a year for my whole life.

I love the lack of crowds in your pictures. Who would have guessed how many people they could pack in!

It’s really neat you got Disneyland moccasins. One time we went and it was FREEZING and I had no sweater so my parents bought me a Disneyland sweatshirt. That was exciting. And expensive...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments