"Other-Wordly"...

Found upon my front porch was this amazing book from my friend, Keri. The inscription reads, "Dear Denise, A little something I hope you find entertaining, especially with your love for words and culture."

Other-Wordly: words both strange and lovely from around the world is book in which to discover words to surprise, delight, and enamor. It is a beautifully illustrated tool from which to learn terms for various things: for the sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees, for dancing awkwardly but with relish (so me), and for the look shared by two people who each wish the other would speak first.
Smultronställe (noun, c. Swedish) lit. "place of wild strawberries": a special place discovered, treasured, returned to for solace and relaxation, a personal idyll free from stress or sadness... hmmm reminds me of Tahoe!
Nemophilist (noun, English) a hunter of the woods; one who loves the forest and its beauty and solitude... hmmm also reminds me of Tahoe!
This entire page holds treasured words for me. I especially like
Gezellig (adjective, Dutch) cozy, nice, inviting, pleasant, comfortable; connoting time spent with loved ones or togetherness after a long separation.

No matter where we are, we will always miss where we cannot be. I don't know if there is a word that sums up that longing yet the words in Other-wordly come pretty close.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments