The Great Gatsby Tea at Valhalla

One highlight of a Tahoe Summer is the Gatsby Festival, a two day event with a variety of activities taking place on the Pope, Baldwin and Heller Estates­- the Tallac Historic Site.

Jenny and I posed with Ranger Megan, our 'boss' from Winter Trek.  We hardly recognized her out of her USFS uniform.
We gathered on the lawn of the Grand Hall, at the Heller's Valhalla Estate, where tea tables were decorated by Tahoe Heritage Foundation volunteers.  Part of the day's excitement was admiring all the creativity.
This trio always arrive in style and have become a much anticipated part of the tea.  The gal on the right has a new outfit and hat made every year! Gorgeous.
This year, I hosted my own table with a great deal of help from Jenny.
Gary, Henry and Bob were the butlers and we were well cared for.
We were served sweets and savories, 1920s high tea, and bootleg champagne, poured into our tea cups to be discreet.  I used my mom's china for the very first time (I inherited it when she died in 1986) adding a rather special component for me.
Following the serving of tea, there was a fashion show, with each year's theme being unique.  In honor of Baz Luhrmann's movie, Sherrie Oliver chose The Life and Times of Jay Gatsby.  The show was mostly fashions of the 1920s.  The models portrayed different characters from the book and she read short passages about each one.
With an ending that seemed very Gatsby-esque, we boated home.
When F. Scott Fitzgerald set out to write this book, he was inspired by the parties he had attended. He desired to produce, in his words, "something new—something extraordinary and beautiful and simple and intricately patterned."

After being at today's tea, I believe the Tahoe Heritage Foundation captured exactly what Fitzgerald looked to do in his novel.  Today was truly extraordinary!

posted under |

2 comments:

Nick and Deb's Excellent Adventure said...

Thanks for the snail mail, we loved seeing our dear friend in the local paper! You have become a real live celeb!

We have planted the sunflowers and since they are my favorite I hope they get as big as my head!

The card was beautiful as well. You are SO thoughtful.

The program arrived yesterday now I really want to attend next year!

Four Points Bulletin said...

Love the idea! I read that book years ago and I would love to experience that era for the day. Life was a party. Looks like you relived it well!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments