Conversations with a Swimming Legend...

Our Lake Tahoe Historical Society is a perfect place for me, a history addict!  Each visit has me discovering something intriguing, endearing Tahoe to me even more.

I discovered a box full of memorabilia, donated by Erline ChristophersonOn July 25, 1962, this then 16-year-old from Lodi, CA, became the first female to swim the axis of the Lake. After failing on two previous attempts, the undaunted teenager completed a seventeen-mile swim from Baldwin Beach to Dollar Point, covering the distance in 13 hours and 17 minutes- a major accomplishment for a woman at the time.  I was told she returns to Tahoe every summer, so I found her phone number and called her.  My goal is to have Erline share this event with our community, for them to meet the woman who said, as a girl, "I've wanted to swim Lake Tahoe ever since I first saw it, -when I was eight or nine years old."  She made history and I'm eager to hear it.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments