My Happiness List...

For this month's AAUW "Talking on Paper" assignment, I chose to write:

What makes me happy?  Answering this simple question is the assignment I have given myself.  I believe, every now and then in life, we should remind ourselves of what makes us feel happy.  So I thought I'd create a list, not in any order of importance, of a few of my favorite things.

1.  A letter received in the mail.  There is still no greater way to communicate.  To sit, with a cup of coffee and read someone's thoughts, written just for me, is a special activity that truly brings me joy.

2.  Sending mail, believe it or not, brings me greater joy than receiving it.  Choosing the proper stamp, taking the time to sit, even if briefly, to let someone know they're thought of.  Knowing that in a day or two, amongst a stack of bills and propaganda, the recipient will get a little surprise that will evoke a smile... this makes me very happy.

3.  A clean car with a full tank of gas.  This has always been a treat for me which actually begins as a chore, as I am the one who normally washes my own car.  A clean windshield is a perfect frame to what exists on the road ahead.

4.  A freshly opened can of coffee whose aroma wafts through the house signalling the start of a brand new "today".

5.  A child's unbridled laughter always makes me smile.  Who can express joy better than a child?

6.  New experiences continue to delight.  Having lived for a half century with some pretty amazing experiences, it is wonderful to realize and appreciate that there are still new ones to be had.

7.  Witnessing my children grow up, make wise decisions and become people who like me and who I like as well.  It's a realization that I was a pretty successful parent, regardless of my perceived inadequacies.

8.  I love finishing a book and feeling like I accomplished something.

9.  I have a rich, eclectic group of friends, of various ages and life experiences, that fill my life with happiness, laughter, advice and much fun.

10. My in-laws have always considered me to be the daughter they never had which fills a void of loneliness with love and kindness.

11. My husband, Steve, continues to be the best decision of my life and I'm grateful for the life he has provided for me.  Most of what makes me happy is truly a direct byproduct of our coming together as a couple.

It is said, "Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have."  I'm happy because I want for nothing and I have everything.  What's on your list?

posted under |

1 comments:

Four Points Bulletin said...

Very well written and very sweet, Denise.
You forgot to mention your blog! :)
It is always great to read.
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments