All Saints Day...

In Italy, All Saints Day is known as Tutti i Santi Ognissnati. The Catholic holiday, commemorating the Saint Martyrs, is celebrated today. Tomorrow, All Souls Day, is set aside to honor loved ones who are deceased.  Italians celebrate the two holidays together.

We wanted to understand more about these holidays so we visited Spoleto's cemetery.  Tradition dictates that chrysanthemums be placed upon the tombs of deceased family members.  We found a richness of colors and tombs that were architecturally astounding.  At each corner we turned, we were greeted with an explosion of flora and memorials of stunning artistry.  I became a bit emotional when watching the darling little old men, obviously lonesome for their lost women.

It gave me the opportunity to remember those I've lost in a setting that, while allowing sorrow, also had a sense of camaraderie.

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the man and woman. You captured a precious moment.

I always visit cemeteries when I travel. Why isn't that morbid? I don't think foreigners visit OUR cemeteries! :)
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments