One month in Spoleto...

I am home with a sore throat and my first Italian cold.  Steve, on the other hand, is feeling great and has been headache free since arriving.

We have lived happily in Spoleto for an entire month.  Steve's Italian skills continue to improve and have even been called "brilliant".  I continue to love la lingua but I just don't speak it as well as I do inside my own head.  "There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all."  I do speak smile, so I'm getting along fine.

We continue to embrace our community and delight in all things Italy.  Marlena de Blasi summed up our adventure in her book The Lady in the Palazzo:  An Umbrian Love Story,
I'd thought, you see, that one of the best things about going to live in another country would be the chance to be ten years old again.  Or for the first time.  Everything fresh, untested.  Learn to speak and think and dream in another language.  To see how new people sip their tea, break their bread, treat each other.  Not just passage through, not a wander among the natives but setting up with them.  I knew that to be at home in the world was the way to grow rich.  The way I wanted to be rich.

posted under |

4 comments:

xandra said...

I'm so happy for you both!!! I can't believe it! A whole month! Wow! Time does fly! But I'm sure the next 11 months will be such an adventure, more than it already is! I read ALL of your posts and I definitely speak smile while reading them :)

Feel better with your cold and continue to be motivating for us all! <3

xoxo xandra

Anonymous said...

You better get better...meanwhile Steve is going around town practicing his Italian solo!
Do you have plans to head South? I have always wondered about the sole of the boot. :)
Sono felice per voi entrambi! (How is my Babel Fish Italian?)
***

Deb Bako said...

Hope the cold is gone now and that you are up and running! A month already wow! Keep the stories and pictures coming as we all love them. ciao

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to share with all of us. I just love your journey and its my little escape from work.
Deborah Hollander

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments