Do You Suffer From Tsundoku?

Tsundoku is the Japanese word for the tendency to buy books and not read them.

I have to admit, of all my less-than-ideal traits, this is the one that is Steve's least favorite. For those who don't know, Tsundoku’s etymology is a combination of words. Tsun comes from tsumu–to pile up–and doku is verb that can be used to refer to reading. But the combo word could also come from tsunde–to stack things–, oku –to leave for awhile– and doku–to read. 
With two places we call home, and with each having far too many horizontal surfaces, I pile, stack, leave for awhile, and sometimes read many, many books. These literary treasures are just too precious to part with.
That said, when it gets to be just too much for Steve, I can redistribute my books into my Little Free Library which truthfully is just a way for me to rationalize the need to purchase more books. I truly suffer from tsundoku! Do you?

"Books and doors are the same thing.
You open them,
and you go through into another world."
– Jeanette Winterson

posted under |

2 comments:

Erin Marlowe said...

Not sure "suffer" is the right word. :-) But I love to collect books too and have many that are unread.

Anonymous said...

Wish I lived by your Free Little Library!
Debbie

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments