My Birthday, Tehachapi & Mileage!

My actual birthday began with Cyndi giving me a long overdue trim. She is my friend and my hairdresser... What a lovely combination.



We said our goodbyes and I headed down 395 for my next stop, Leslie's house in Tehachapi. I have not driven in snowy weather so traversing the Eastern Sierra had me a bit unnerved.
While the wind was intense at times, there wasn't any snow to worry about.
And much of the drive was breathtaking. I 💙 U.S. Route 395.
I have been visiting Tehachapi since Leslie moved there in 1996. Tradition has dictated, more years than not, that I spend some portion of my birthday month there.
Her mom, Barbara, has been in my life almost as long as Leslie (we met in a Sociology class at Cal State Fullerton in 1982).
The quietness of mornings is one of my favorite things about those visits.


Tehachapi has numerous treasures and we discovered many.
Though time, just at home, is the most special part of visiting Leslie... Oh and Scrabble.
This cool, hanging magnetic version of Scrabble was a gift from her son. We spent the time I was there playing on and off. When I went to bed, she formed her word, when I awoke before her, I took my turn. It was a delightfully unrushed way to play.
She even let me win, but barely (298 vs 281).
This just made me laugh.
After one week away from home, on my first solo road trip since breaking my neck in 2019, I was delightfully exhausted and proud of myself. I felt more like the old me and I embraced the sensation.
Wow! Over the course of four days of driving, I covered 1,238 miles of our amazing state. I made long overdue connections and created everlasting memories. I will have concluded my Birthday Month exhausted but content. This has been an exceptional celebration of my arrival into the world. I am very fortunate and so truly grateful.

posted under |

2 comments:

Erin Marlowe said...

There is such a beauty in solo travel; one's own agenda. You had quite a birthday month. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

LOVE that Scrabble board! One of those "wish I had thought of that" ideas!
So glad you had an excellently grand birth-month adventure!!! I understand that feeling of being back to one's old self. Yay, you!!! <3

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments