A Response from the US PORTAL Service

Last November, I discovered a unique, golden mailbox, one which allowed me to write a long overdue letter to my mom, who I lost in 1986.


Placed there by the United States PORTAL Service, a sign nearby explains: “Please submit your questions, grievances and love letters to the past and future here.” If you include a return address, you’ll get a response by standard mail from one of 33 Portal Professionals, who range in age from 3 to 79. If you don’t include a return address, “a cosmic response will be issued.”
Well, because I love snail mail, I included a return address and moved on. Yesterday, the Portal Team responded with a note that left me teary, "We are deeply honored that you utilized the Portal Service to write and send this letter. We can't tell you how many unwritten letters to moms are out there. Thank you for writing yours." I only wish I had written mine 35 years ago. Do you have a letter left unwritten? April IS Letter Writing Month! You still have time.

"A letter is never ill-timed; it never interrupts.
Instead it waits for us to find the opportune minute,
the quiet moment to savor the message.
There is an element of timelessness about letter writing."
-Lois Wyse

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments