"The Measure", My Recent Read

I was given this thought-provoking novel last month (thank you so much Mary Jo) and I just finished it today. Have you ever had one of those books whose story you just didn't want to end? Nikki Erlick's debut novel, The Measure, had that impact on me. What timing, too.

One day, the entire world population, age 22 and over, receives a mysterious box engraved with one's name and the tantalizing inscription, The measure of your life lies within. Within is a string whose length represents one's time on Earth. Would you open it?

In this page-turner of a book, as society comes together and pulls apart, everyone faces the same shocking choice: Do they wish to know how long they’ll live? And, if so, what will they do with that knowledge?

The Measure charts the dawn of this new world through an unforgettable cast of characters whose decisions and fates interweave with one another: best friends whose dreams are forever entwined, pen pals finding refuge in the unknown, a couple who thought they didn’t have to rush, a doctor who cannot save himself, and a politician whose box becomes the powder keg that ultimately changes everything.

I can't even begin to express how many times I've answered the question, "Would I open it?" I am still flipflopping with my answer. I so agree with the review by Freya Sampson, author of The Last Chance Library, "The Measure is an utterly original and hugely compelling story, which drew me in from the very first page with its beautiful writing. Weeks after reading it, I'm still thinking about this smart, uplifting novel and its wonderful characters." 👍👍

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments