Replicating our French Cooking Class

When we shared that we were taking a class to learn how to cook French Onion Soup, I was surprised at how many people proclaimed, "I LOVE French Onion Soup!" The first was Karen so we inked a date for her and David to be subjected to our culinary skills.

We met at Bottega Italia in Old Town Temecula just to get the night started.

Everyone, but me, embraced the famous Italian saying, La vita è breve, ma è anche dolce — Life is Too Short to Skip Dessert (even if dinner hasn't been eaten yet).

Steve and I had prepped the soup two days prior as we were told that would make the flavors meld and be better. It also allowed us to air out the onion aromas. The soup was a huge hit!
For dessert, we all created our own French Apple Tartelette. It was so simple (ingredients: 1 sheet of frozen Puff Pastry, thawed;  2- 3 apples ( any); sugar; butter and lemon. Someone suggested adding cinnamon which, while it made the tartelette look burnt, those who added it loved it.


The finale was playing with Sparklers. Karen and I are huge fans and I had been wanting to document the New Year using them (see the last photo below, from 2011).
I laughed so hard at our attempts, my ribs hurt. Hysterical.
Karen's 2 was perfect. David's 0 was incomplete. My 2 was too small and Steve's 4 was backward. On my gosh, I'm laughing all over again!
This photo, taken while we were living in Italy, had the advantage of better Sparklers and easier numbers (and much younger participants). I think every night should end in Sparklers!

I have quoted Jesse Browner several times before (so much so he mentions me in a Paris Review article) but this is just so dang true, "Eating, and hospitality in general, is a communion, and any meal worth attending by yourself is improved by the multiples of those with whom it is shared."

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments