WWII Love Letters

Recently, I rediscovered this satin purse that was my Mom's.

Known as a handkerchief holder, one of my Mom's two sisters must have gifted this to her. It was not only a way for those on the home front to show their patriotism but it was a perfect place to protect love letters from your Navy man who was protecting the USA during WWII. They were also used for storing stockings to keep them unsnagged or quite possibly a lock of his hair.
The pouch opens up to find a sweet poem about Sisters and the 48 star US flag on the interior pocket (this flag dates from 1912 - 1949).
My Dad was a career Navy man. WWII was the first of three wars in which he served.
I've had this written version of my Dad's life of military service for decades. It wasn't until recently that I read some of them. It broke my heart to hear how poor they were. Most spoke of money, intense loneliness, and  on occasion, about wolves... the men who didn't go to war and preyed upon the women left behind.
When my Dad volunteered for the Navy, they were in their late teens. I don't know how mature my Mom was at the time. This telegraph reads, "Will be home at 0730. Be sure and be there."
This was one of many that had huge chunks removed by the sensors. Censorship of both military and civilian mail was deemed necessary to prevent dissemination of sensitive information across enemy lines. I'd love to know what was said in the void.
Letters are so important in preserving history. This one dated 7 May 1945 reads, "The war is over in Europe. We just heard about it a couple of hours ago but it doesn't mean much to us sitting out here in the Pacific..."
Oh boy, my Dad knew the value of a letter, "Honey if you get a couple of bucks ahead would you buy me some V Mail stationery and six cent air mail? Talk about being broke. I think I've got about twenty seven cents or maybe it's twenty six. I don't need any money though honey because I don't intend going out anymore unless it's to call you."
The letters were all just from my Dad so I didn't get to hear what my Mom was saying though at some point she wrote on one of the letters received. It didn't make sense to me, since she obviously didn't send it, until I read it, "Darling Duke, Here I'm in the Spa and very drunk but I'm am writing this to tell you I love you..."
The volume of letters outgrew the handkerchief holder and were eventually mounted in this scrapbook.
What remained in the pouch was an interesting collection of artifacts of varying age. This business card sized informational card (c. 1950) printed by the United States government outlines what to do before, during and after the detonation of a nuclear bomb with the effects of an atomic bombing written on the back. The aftermath of World War II resulted in a global nuclear arms race heightening fears of a potential nuclear attack on United States soil. At the bottom it reads, "Remember the large casualties in Japan resulted from failure to provide air raid warning and from lack of organization." 
Within were two professional photos taken in 1960 and also my Dad's military ID from his time in Vietnam (dated 1966).
A letter from 1959 was also enclosed.
A very interesting inclusion is three War Ration Book Four. What history! The Office of Price Administration (OPA) was a New Deal agency created in 1941 to: (1) stabilize prices and rents, (2) prevent profiteering and hoarding, (3) protect citizens with fixed incomes from lower living standards, and (4) encourage production. During the war, the government asked Americans to sacrifice certain luxuries and necessities, so the OPA established a system of rationing that included gasoline, tires, cars, bicycles, shoes, zippers, bobby pins, nylons, stoves, sugar, butter, coffee, meat, and cooking fat, and many other items for military use. On the back cover is an important statement: "When you have used your ration, salvage the TIN CANS and WASTE FATS. They are needed to make munitions for our fighting men." On the home front people organized scrap metal, tire, tin foil, and shoe drives. Bacon fat, for instance, was used in making ammunition and explosives. Each ration booklet contained several pages of stamps, labelled variously for sugar, coffee, gasoline, etc. Sugar stamps were used quickly for baking (though each book still has one). Others were printed with mysterious combinations of letters and numbers. The war in Europe and in the Pacific caused many shortages on the home front, and rationing was a way to fairly distribute items. Unfortunately, the black market thrived on the illegal resale of ration books. I guess my Mom didn't know about the black market. She could have sent so much more mail.

These 80 year old letters have introduced me to people I have never met. Two young lovers struggling through life. One who dedicated himself to serving his country and the girl he left behind, pouring over her sailor's love notes. Each letter written gave just a glimpse into what was happening in one another's life. What a treasure for me to be able to learn about this great love that truly is why I'm here. If there was ever evidence needed to prove the value of the written word, I'd say I have an entire scrapbook full.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments