Hollywood: Film Legends' Estate Sale & More

Another one of our shared interests is that of estate sales. When Julie found this one, she hit Hollywood gold!

"Lloyd Gordon Estate Sales presents cult movie star Kathleen Hughes' Downsize Sale!  She was the star of: It Came From Outer Space, The Glass Web, Three Bad Sisters. Her husband was Stanley Rubin who produced: River of No Return (Robert Mitchum & Marilyn Monroe), The President’s Analyst, and so much more. In addition, he was the first ever recipient of TV’s first ever Emmy Award!"
Hughes was discovered in a Little Theater production in 1948. Signed to a seven-year contract with 20th Century Fox, she made 14 films for the studio. She appeared in five motion pictures for Universal Studios, including the cult film It Came From Outer Space. Released on May 27, 1953, the sci-fi feature was adapted from the writing of Ray Bradbury and was Universal's first entry into the 3D-film medium.
When asked, "What was the secret behind your lasting marriage to screenwriter Stanley Rubin?" Ms. Hughes responded, "We were just good for each other. And I was determined not to get married until I found someone I would be happy to live with forever. So I made every effort to be a good wife. It was a very, very happy marriage." Mr. Rubin passed away in 2014 at age 96. His lovely bride is still at it at 94.

The home was a treasure to just see. "Constructed in 1956, the Rubins have been the only owners. It has ten rooms and four bedrooms. There are four full baths. This is a one-story house. The house's living area is 3,446 sq. ft. with the lot being 0.49 acres. The structure type can be characterized as Modern."

The furnishings were all mid-century: a George Nelson Sunburst Clock (ca. 1960), two low, black brocade-velvet sofas, a huge low, white Formica coffee table with gold mosaic stripes, and even a Hollywood Regency black lacquer pedestal dining table! The Rubins were very social. My imagination ran wild thinking of all those who wandered about just as we were doing.








It cracked me up to see this Phyllis Diller coffee mug. Ms. Diller probably gave it to Kathleen as a joke. I regret not purchasing it. Darn it.

"For Kathleen with love and laughs. Thanks for bring Barbara!!" Bette
Oh man, I love this vintage O'Keefe & Merritt oven. It could have been mine for $2000 which seems like a deal compared to many of the other items. I can just see Kathleen cooking for her four babies on that stove!

How about this vintage metal shopping list? WOW!
This risqué caricature of Stanley was hanging in his office. It must not have been true since their relationship was described as "a very, very happy marriage."

So many movie and TV scripts were for sale (The Talented Mr. Ripley, Chicago, Shrek, Seabiscuit, The Pianist, Shakespeare in Love, The Lucy Show, Peyton Place, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Quincy, & many more!) I really had to walk away. What did I need a script for? BUT so fun to ogle.
I'm putting this movie on my 'to watch list'... "What they did to men was nothing compared to what they did to each other!" An interviewer asked Ms. Hughes, "It’s been said you're most proud of your 1956 film Three Bad Sisters. Why?" She answered, "I just loved the scene where I horsewhipped my sister and sent her sobbing and bleeding into the night where she got into a car and drove off a cliff. For some reason, it just struck me that it’s very funny. I don’t know why. But it was fun to do a part like that where you’re whipping somebody. It’s something I could never imagine myself doing. Actually, I was whipping a pillow. *laughs*. It was fun and I liked everybody who was in the film. I loved everything about it."


Okay, this ashtray, one of many, caught my eye. Just up the freeway is Murrieta Hot Springs. Steve and I stayed there once, after its heyday had passed. I've walked in the Rubins' footsteps!
In addition to all that awesome memorabilia, there were dozens of personal notes for sale from luminaries such as Jerry Lewis, Lucille Ball, Sid Caesar, Robert Mitchum, Muhammed Ali, Stella Adler, and so many more. It really was a who's who in Hollywood.


So what did I buy? For those of you who know me, I'm a very frugal shopper and this sale was really a looking event for me. That said, I couldn't go all they way there and not purchase something. I was smitten by these cloth napkins and six of them came home with me ($15). All I could do was think about all the famous lips which have been wiped with them!
My other treasure was this sheet of Marilyn Monroe USPS postage stamps circa 1995. Paying only $1.60 over the face value, I was pretty tickled. Marilyn was a very big part of the Rubins' lives and each year, on Marilyn's death (August 4th), they would participate in the Marilyn Remembered ceremony. The video shows Stanley Rubin not only sharing his memories of Marilyn but also the 'cute meet' between him and Kathleen. What a sweet tribute.

After our three hours at the estate sale, we showed up for our lunch reservation right on the dot. The Butcher, The Baker, The Cappuccino Maker could not have been a better choice (picked because of its proximity).
Julie was determined to have their Signature Latte, a hand painted bbcm colorburst latte (whole milk only) for $12. It was worth every penny to gaze at it throughout our meal while the artwork remained intact until the very end. WOW.

Each server wore a t-shirt with a clever saying. This guy's was fun because I had the benedict and I was with a friend!
After fueling up, we window shopped at Revolver Gallery, a Los Angeles-based art gallery with a one-artist program focusing on the life and work of the pioneer of Pop Art, Andy Warhol. "With over 300 original prints and paintings in its collection for sale, Revolver Gallery has the largest “gallery-owned” Warhol collection worldwide. Revolver Gallery contextualizes the artist’s body of work and historical significance through outreach, strategic partnerships with leading institutions, and by curating international Warhol exhibitions."

A thrift store stop in Santa Monica, a traffic heavy drive home full of girl talk, and dinner & a Rom/Com in pajamas was the ideal conclusion of our awesome LA Day.

posted under |

1 comments:

Jenny said...

What an entertaining find! Looks like a really fun explore. The metal shopping list's "matches" cracked me up ~ doubt that was for the fireplace, hehee. Cool stamps sheet and followup video too.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments