Contemporary Perspectives in Fiber Arts

I have been  to the William D. Cannon Art Gallery numerous times but this was the first where my timing worked out perfectly to be there for an exhibit's opening. From Jan. 7 – March 18, 2023 the gallery is featuring selections from California Fibers. This talented group was founded in 1970 and supports the artistic growth and professional advancement of contemporary Southern California fiber artists.

The imagination and superb craftsmanship of these artists place them in the highest echelon in their fields. The group has an extensive exhibition history in the USA and abroad. Many of its members are well-represented in museums and private collections and are recipients of prestigious awards from around the world. Their creative expression includes weaving, basketry, sculpture, quilting, embroidery, felting, surface design, knitting, crochet, wearables and mixed media. This exhibit is definitely not to be missed!
I delighted in the welcoming work Fourteen Brushes = Fourteen Weavings by Peggy Weidmann.
Part of what I love so much about this space is the ability to really examine pieces closely. Peggy's work was made from paintbrushes, Irish waxed linen, cordage, wire, fabric, paper, bottle caps, and a hummingbird nest. So very unique!
The birds on Sandy Abrams Sanctuary were so realistic I anticipated birdsong. Wow.
And there was something very cool about her Wheat Field.
Another of Peggy Wiedmann's creations, A Child's Imagination, sparked mine as I looked at it closer.
Made with "pine needles, rag cordage, Irish waxed linen, gum wrappers, wood, metal, old keys, antique wheels, etc." it all combined into a piece that reminded me of my childhood.

Whimsical and fun is how I would describe Moments Plus at Play by Debby Weiss.
I appreciate all the creative fibers these artists used. Debby's work was crafted with mosquito netting, wool, and felt. Wild!


One of Steve's favorites was Pod by Polly Jacobs. Have you ever admired something and you just couldn't put your finger on why it impacted you so much? This was one of those pieces.

So much about Gail Fraiser's Lanarkshire Express intrigued me though I was especially intrigued by her use of an old, strap-on roller skate for its base.

I think the shadows add such depth to Lydia Tjioe Hall's Wire Study. The art looks so organic, like items found in the sea.

Polly Jacobs' Closed Doors made me think of a city skyline.
Its a work of repurposing... vintage raffia and salvaged metal. How clever.
Some art presents itself as simple. That said, upon examining Brecia Kralovic-Logan's work, one sees all the individual ingredients that had to come together to make it Incandescent (hand dyed silk, heat treated copper mesh, wool, found metal, copper, and stone). Very neat!
Kathy Nida's You Don't Hike Alone made me miss summers in Tahoe.
The details in this quilt are indescribable. Each of these works need to be seen. Photos just can't do them justice.

Being as I love book arts, I was smitten by Charlotte Bird's two pieces. Legacy is a collection of old recipes housed in a 'waffle' (crafted with papier-mâché).

Wonder was simply wonderful!

Charlotte is a woman after my own heart. She states about this piece, "Over 50+ years of wilderness travel, Charlie and I collected river rocks of various sizes and patterns. I have traced around some of them and made rocks out of hand painted and textured papers. Each one something about which to wonder."

There were so many pieces in which to gaze at in wonder in this exhibition, there was no way for me to give them all their due. I know we'll be back. Well done, Cannon Art Gallery!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments