Tehachapi Time...

I have been traversing the Mojave Desert, to connect with Leslie, for over 30 years. It has been far too long since I've done the trek solo, so for three days, it was just us girls (Leslie, her Mom, me, and Leslie's new dog, Kiya). Below are scenes of our time together over the course of those wonderful days.

Let's start with a brief history lesson at the Tehachapi Railroad Depot. The depot was built in 1904 along a Southern Pacific Railroad line which was established in 1876.


None of us had seen one of these concrete structures before. I guessed a jail. Nope. It is a Southern Pacific Concrete Telephone Booth.

According to the plaque on the door, "This style of telephone booth was unique to Southern Pacific Railroad. Untold hundreds were manufactured at the West Oakland Maintenance of Way Shops. Inside each booth was a Western Electric model 1517 BU wood-encased telephone with a hand-cranked generator, push-to-talk button, and headset receiver. The last concrete booths were manufactured in 1955."
Delights were found at the new TehachaPIE shop.
Our pie of choice? Tehachaberry, of course!
Lunch on the patio of the 4 Seasons Café was a nice reprieve during our explorations.


Brisk walks, and long talks, were part of our daily routine.

We only had time to finish one game of Scrabble. Leslie won, but only barely.
The sunrises were something I didn't share with anyone as I'm an early riser. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this by sleeping in.
Armed with hot coffee, my current read (Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci), and the amazing view, my mornings were idyllic.
A movie together in my bed (Dan in Real Life), a stroll through downtown shops, perusing the stacks at the Public Library, reminiscing over old photos, and just having long overdue time together, I left Tehachapi feeling more normal than I have in the last three years. It truly was just what I needed. Correction: what we both needed. I loved it all.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments