Art in the Temecula Library...

While on a library errand, I was delighted to discover a new local artist- Sydney Edmond.

This is what Ms. Edmond said about herself, "I am an artist with autism and apraxia. I am unable to speak, and I lack control over my movement. This makes painting difficult. But it is a challenge that I love."
And of her subjects, "Maikos are living works of art and reminders of Japan's unique culture and history. To hear them sing or play the shamisen, to see them dance or graciously serve tea, is a lovely escape to another time, another world."
"I became interested in Japanese Maiko after reading a lovely book called A Geisha's Journey - My Life as a Kyoto Apprentice, by Komomo and Naoyuki Ogino. I admired their total devotion to their art. They leave their homes as teenagers to live in the Hanamachi District by their own choice, and train in music, dance, and elegant tea ceremonies the whole day through. As an artist, I was particularly drawn to the beautiful kimono they wear and the lovely ornaments they put in their hair."
"I created a Maiko character I named Kotori ("little bird") and in my paintings I follow her journey to become a Geisha. She is joined by her Oneesan ("big sister") who encourages her to follow her dreams. Her dreams are represented by the little bluebird who she loves and nurtures tenderly. And she loads up with joy around her Maiko friends who all share in the excitement of following their passions."


I love 'discovering' art in surprising places. Sydney's work makes me smile. I am so very impressed. And I'm loving libraries, and all they have to offer, right now.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments