Cannon Art Gallery's Invitational...

Whenever we're in Carlsbad, we try to visit the amazing art gallery located adjacent to the public library.

More than 500 artists have appeared in the Cannon Art Gallery. The current exhibit, the 2020 Invitational, presents work from local artists Sue DeWulf, Juan Flores, Alison Haley Paul, Annalise Neil and Vicki Walsh. Oh man, I love this creative space.

I think the most unique of the five artists showcased was Vicki Walsh, whose work is described by Chi Essary as, "Forensic Illustration Meets the Renaissance."  Ms. Walsh’s stark and meticulously rendered faces are sure to leave an impression. Each accident of the flesh is painstakingly depicted. Although the likeness is exact, her work is something beyond portraiture. Her subject may be the face, but more the topography of the face—she is almost mapping each contour and crease.
As far as the painters go, Juan Flores gets my vote as the most whimsical. His work evokes glee.
According to the artist's bio, "My newer works synthesize and illustrate a vision rooted in my past. I use intense colors to make vanishing memories vivid images and recapture a fading dream or a distant event." I like that concept a great deal.
Steve was drawn to this piece by Alison Haley Paul, a contemporary painter of lavishly textured landscapes full of nuanced color. Her work conjures up connotations and geographical memories. The places she paints may not be physically specific, but they are immediately recognizable. All of her works were visually stunning.
I can appreciate painting but I'm a sucker for ceramics! Sue DeWulf's ceramics have been described as, "An Unparalleled Whimsical Art Collection". I couldn't agree more. She had the largest collection in the gallery and I loved them all.
Assemblage pieces are created from cast found objects, hand built accents and vintage ceramic molds. Childhood images such as rubber ducks, piggy banks, carousel animals and baby dolls come together to involve the viewer in the artist's affinity for toys and a love of play. Maybe that's why I appreciate her stuff so much. I totally have a love of play.

The William D. Cannon Art Gallery is one of those places that draws us in. I always leave thoroughly impressed. It is truly one of Carlsbad's greatest treasures. I am so happy we discovered it.

posted under |

1 comments:

Lisa in Canada said...

Wow Denise! This collection is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am not sure who is my favourite... Juan Flores or Sue DeWulf. They are both so compelling but for different reasons. I love the use and intensity of colour in Juan's painting but oh I do love the whimsy of Sue's ceramics. I am going to have to google her and maybe find her on social media.

Play is my word for 2020...your timing is perfect :) Thanx again! xo

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments