My Broken Neck Follow Up #5...

It has been five months since that fateful day when I fractured my neck. Today was yet another follow up.

Each appointment is always a bit of a surprise for me. I have expectations and they are never quite met, though I always leave hopeful. I'm glad Steve goes with me because he takes away different information than I do.
At all five appointments with my orthopedist, I have x-rays taken. These images do not show if the C1 vertebrae is healed. What they tell Dr. Z is that the broken bone has not shifted in relation to the C2 (which has been the danger all along). He is happy that I'm vertical & ventilating without pain. Furthermore, he is confident that one more month in my neck brace, along with the bone stimulator, will be enough for me to transition into a soft collar. Physical Therapy will begin after some time in the new apparatus.
What does this all mean? At the end of February, I will be rocking one of these fine neck accessories. It also means that while I am healing, I fractured my vertebrae so severely that it may never fully heal. Life is, and may always be, comprised (with pain and fragility). Dr. Z is very forthcoming with those possibilities. On the other hand, who knows. I may beat the odds and live a pre-fall life of exhaustingly happy memories. That's the option on which I'm going to focus. Broken Neck Follow Up #6 occurs in mid-March. Until then, I'm choosing not to dwell on the what ifs but the heck yas!

"Broken crayons still color the same."
-Trent Shelton

posted under |

1 comments:

Lisa in Canada said...

Oh what great news! I know it would be better to hear that everything has healed but this is very encouraging. Graduating to a soft collar must sound like heaven to you and will be much more comfortable :)

I am hoping they come in more fun colours LOL!

It sounds like you have a very supportive Dr. who is compassionate and helpful. That is half the battle I believe. Knowing that when you walk into their office, you will be seen and heard and your concerns are taken seriously.

Congratulations Denise!! I am very happy for you and happy to hear all about your great news xo

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments