Disneyland in the 50s...

Our friend, Bob, spent some time recently digitizing his family's old slides. He knew I would love to see these of Disneyland, not too long after it opened (1955).

I loved this photo of the Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeers. While a tad before my time, I did see the show in reruns, though I don't remember the big guy in the front, Roy Williams. He has an interesting story worth sharing, however.

In 1925, Roy was hired by the Hyperion Studio after a short conversation with someone he took for the office boy (it was Walt). This was the beginning of Roy's lifelong personal loyalty to Walt Disney. Walt paid for Roy's training at the Chouinard Art School, and took him on in the Art Department. Roy's strength was judged to be as a story and gag man, and by the start of the fifties he had moved away from animation. As the studio's production of cartoon shorts and features wound down in the mid-fifties, Roy was assigned to do storyboards for the upcoming Mickey Mouse Club. That's when Walt Disney selected him as co-host for the show, for all three seasons.  In addition, not only did he help pick the cast, but rumor has it he was the designer of their "Ears". Man, I was so born in the wrong decade. 
That's Bob, standing so erect on the left, watching the parade go by.

And just for fun, I've added a photo of me (little girl on the left), a decade after Bob was there.

"I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in the park.
I want them to feel they’re in another world"
— Walt Disney

posted under |

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ha! I hadn't seen the photos yet (Bob shared with you before me!) I love the clothes in both your photo and his. His sleeves (rolled up?), your red socks and cute outfit - looks kinda like matching balloon shorts under the dress. Such sweet times.

Unknown said...

Fun times, thanks for sharing Denise.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments