Tahoe Train Talk...

Lake Tahoe’s Railroad History came to life today with a presentation by Jerry Blackwill, vice president of Strategic Planning for the Truckee Donner Railroad Society.

Mr. Blackwill told the fascinating the story of the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Company, and how Duane L. Bliss, William Seth Bliss, Walter D. Bliss, Duane L. Bliss Jr. and Frank Titus built and ran this tourist system, laying the foundation for Lake Tahoe’s present day tourist industry.

Here's an interesting side story. Dana, pictured showing photos to Jerry, learned of this presentation online and came all the way from Sacramento. I asked him to tell me his story.
My story? Well, I was raised in the Truckee area. My father and two of my grandfathers worked in that general area as well. My father initiated my interest, and, and others along the way, I found great joy and reward in the study of history, the journey I have had. And while I enjoy western history, I tend to gravitate to the local area history due to my background.

He could have been a presenter, in his own right. I love how these Library events bring our community together to share and I really love the history that can be found so close to us. It was a pretty cool evening.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments