My Dad's (would be) 89th Birthday!

I have written about my mom but not my father and being as today is his birthday, I thought it a good day to remember him. I lost him 29 years ago.

In the fall of 1942, less than a year after Pearl Harbor, my dad enlisted in the United States Navy.  He was just 17 years old and had to have his parents sign the papers so he could join.

He never spoke of his service in WWII, Korea or Vietnam, all of which must have defined him.  Yet, he was proud of his military service and proud to be an American. And I, his favorite (and only) daughter, was so proud of him.
(Photo c. 1976 Notice my scoliosis brace- a whole other story)

Dad was the quiet type.  He had a wry sense of humor.  He was loving, in a gentle way.  Each night, even while I was in college, he would tuck me in and look for bogeymen hiding in my closet and under my bed. While doing this he would say, "Good night George, Good night Fred". Yes, he gave my imaginary fears names.
Happy Birthday Dad, I miss you so!

posted under |

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brace looks pretty cool. What's the story behind it?

Anonymous said...

This brace must suck!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh..the old Milwaukee brace, I remember mine as well!

Anonymous said...

My best friend had to wear a Milwaukee brace for years. It was very hard. But she made it and today she has excellent posture.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments