Versailles and the Musée d'Orsay...

After a délicieux breakfast of a baguette and brie, we hit Paris running.  We spent hours at Versailles learning about the history and opulence of the reign of Louis XIII and his heirs. The gardens are were the highlight for Kegan.  To wander then lay about in the cool summer grasses where the royals hunted is a pretty fun way to pass an afternoon.

The Musée d'Orsay was a must see to reacquaint ourselves with our favorites and to discover artists we have never know.  I really loved
Lucien Lévy-Dhurmer's Portrait de Mademoiselle Carlier.  Something about her just drew me to her.  The museum itself is one of our favorites- intimate with a great deal of history.  "The museum was installed in the former Orsay railway station, built for the Universal Exhibition of 1900. So the building itself could be seen as the first "work of art" in the Musée d'Orsay, which displays collections of art from the period 1848 to 1914."

What a day of wonders and walking!

"I love Paris in the Summer,
When it sizzles."

-Cole Porter

posted under |

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh now THIS is real beauty! right out of a movie, it looks like! how beautiful :) - xandra

Four Points Bulletin said...

I want to go to Versailles next time I am there! I learned about it in art history. :)
I loved the Orsay, much more than the Louvre.
Glad to see you are managing to have fun! hahaha.
***

Anonymous said...

I guess you made a little mistake, Versailles and the reign of Louis XIV (not XIII) ;)

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments