Il fine settimana...

How to describe our weekend?  I would have to say, "delightfully normal".  Friday night's dinner out with Laurie and Norma, along with their friend, Sarah (a delightful dining companion), started our weekend perfectly. I love the hours of conversation, delicious food and laughter.  There is always laughter at dinner!

Saturday was spent just being... long walks around town...
caffè on our terrace...followed by a nap (something I felt guilty doing in America).
We Italians nap since the Roman times – at least. It's more a physical need than a culture use. Have two hours for lunch break is generally the normal and taking a nap after lunch is common and natural for 50% of Italians – in hot summers it becomes more epidemic.

"Siesta" is always been connected to Latin countries and considered a sign of laziness – by Northern Europeans. The word itself come from Latin and means the sixth hour (of light), which is around midday. But everyone knows – in the south of Europe – a good nap does wonders for your productivity.For me, the nap allows me to stay up long enough to go out to dinner at 8 PM.

Today, we delighted in the nothingness that a Sunday offers... two espressos on our terrace, the completion of a self-indulgent paperback novel... and a stroll around the Spoleto Flea Market.  Once a month, vendors come to here to sell their new and old wares.  Some in fact, exemplifying the old adage, "One man's junk is another man's treasure." They line the Piazza Libertà with many colors and booths, all to their liking.  To be fair, some of them housed museum quality items...Impressive, old, well preserved and sometimes very expensive.  Regardless, we enjoyed the meandering on a beautifully sunny October morning, with no where to go and all day to get there.

Life is settling into una scanalatura (a groove) for us.

posted under |

4 comments:

Xandra said...

It looks and sounds amazing! I still can't believe that you're there!

Hey, I'm all down for taking naps! Maybe I should try doing that too! :-)

It seems like a very charming and very relaxed town. So happy for both of you!

xoxo xandra

Anonymous said...

How cool about the origin of the word 'siesta'!
The market looks fun.
I spoke with Fred today and we decided we will spend close to a week with you (if that is okay). We have not worked out our entire agenda yet but it should be during the end of July, beginning of August.
***

Anonymous said...

Well I am happy that now I won't feel guilty about any naps I take here. It must be part of my culture from my Italian descendants because I love a good nap. What a charming town, I am falling in love with this beautiful city. So glad you are both enjoying your life in the big city! HA! HA! Wow what a city, cobblestone streets-I'm in love!!
Deborah

Deb Bako said...

First of we LOVE naps, never did much of it before but we sure do now! It a simple pleasure in the hectic day to day life! It sounds wonderful to shop in all the special spots.

ciao

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments