My "Locks of Love" Hair Cut...

Today, my friend/hairdresser, Linda, gathered my long hair into a ponytail and proceeded to cut 12 inches off.  There was no hesitation on my part because when I did this, for my 40th, Linda was the talent stylist to whom I trusted my "locks".  I knew I was growing my hair for this reason and Linda generously agreed to help me with my "Locks of Love" gift.  Please read their Mission and Vision statement to fully understand why I did this:

"Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.

Our mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.

There are several problems facing children who suffer long-term medical hair loss. Most wigs sold by retailers are made to fit adult heads, and are much too big for children to wear. They often require the use of tape or glue to keep them from falling off, and these adhesives can burn or irritate the scalp. Often, the styles of adult wigs are not age-appropriate and synthetic wigs can mat and frizz with excessive styling.

The hair prosthetics Locks of Love provides are custom-made from donated ponytails for each child's head. They retail between $3,500 to $6,000. The hairpiece forms a vacuum seal, like a suction cup, and does not require the use of tape or glue. Only the wearer of the hairpiece may remove it, by breaking the vacuum seal at the temples. Children can dismiss insecurities about classmates pulling off their hairpiece, or losing it at recess. They can swim, shower and do gymnastics – in short, they can be kids again. Each hairpiece is made from real human hair, and arrives long, so the recipient may style it to fit their face."

Interestingly, right after I donated my hair the first time, I bumped into a girlfriend I hadn't seen in ages.  She was with a group of friends and asked, "What did you do to your hair?"  I explained and then one of the ladies came up to me and gave me the biggest hug.  She said that her daughter had a "Locks of Love" wig and it made all the difference in her life.  She had never met anyone who had donated and was so happy to have the opportunity to thank someoneI still get choked up when I think of it.  What a great first day back home!

posted under |

2 comments:

Denise said...

I just wrote a letter of recommendation for one of my 7yr old patients for a wig. Thanks for donating!!

Anonymous said...

Your hair is so nice. Someone is going to get a quality wig! How sweet of you to grow your hair for this cause.
If I can get my hair to grow, I will donate mine too!
:)
***

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments