San Diego Book Arts Exhibition

I have mentioned Book Arts almost as much as Scrabble. Book Arts are a group of art forms that range from traditional skills such as papermaking, letterpress printing, and bookbinding, to new methods of artmaking inspired by the form and function of books. I am a huge fan and, at times, have created some myself.

I received the recent edition of End Papers, the newsletter of San Diego Book Arts (SDBA). I could not resist this invitation, "Experience timeless techniques and fresh ideas as Front Porch Gallery celebrates the time-honored art of bookmaking. This unique exhibit by invited artists features sculptural works, and as stories altered books, printmaking and surface design, letterpress printing bookbinding. When you join us, you will see why the art of bookmaking has no limits."

There were so many wonderful pieces, I can't possible share them all here. My hope is that you'll be tantalized by my selection and have to see the show for yourself (you have until May 13th). I have been informed by other artists that I should give credit where credit is due. This delightful Ode to a Lemon is by Nancy Lee.
Renee Richetts' Take Me to the Circus had me ogling the longest.
In it she "celebrates the use of recycled and up-cycled 'stuff' to engage our memories of the sights, smells, sounds we have of circuses."
There was just something about the acrobatic cork performer!
I enjoyed both of these pieces by Charlotte Bird.

I wished I was part of Jim Stiven's Wish You Were Here. The book was made as part of a collaborative project during 2021 involving SDBA and seven other Book Arts organizations from around the country. All participants created original art works in the postcard form, depicting something representing where they lived. They were then mounted in the Flag Book form. Very cool.

Debbie Gerrish's Paris made me want to go there.
Christa Way's Repository is a collection of 98 miniature handmade paper scrolls, each containing one of her inner spiritual truths.

Also by Christa was Captured, a book created from an old Brownie camera and used as a memento of her parents' relationship. It was incredible that we were able to hold these works and really look at them as one would a real book.

No two books were alike as you can tell by Amy Spencer's Too Many Eyes. Even the materials were quite varied, like the elephant hide paper used here.
Cactus Continuum by Helen Garcia had to be the most unique material of all.

Turkish Map Fold was a series of three pieces by Judith Christensen. Very unique.
This hand stitched book was crafted with cord, ribbon, wood, hand dyed cloth, markers, art paper, ink, found images, water color, art papers, pens, and colored pencils... all coming together to form Cheryl Tall's Olympus.
This piece by Jacqueline Bridge was one of only a few we were asked not to touch. The figure is made of clay and mixed media. The book covers are composed of fused glass. I would be afraid to touch Queen Nzinga and De Sousa Mbande anyway but it was fun to gaze at from up close and carefully.
This album with six fold out pages, by Doria Goocher, demanded more time than I could give it. Mindscape was highly decorated with elements not normally found in traditional books: Tyvek, gold leaf, thread, fabrics, and so much more.
This is a gallery where I wish my other Book Arts friends could have been there with me. I would have loved to discuss each technique, marveled at the materials chosen, and then made promises to one another to get together and create our own Book Arts. Maybe next time. In the meantime, I am inspired by the creative artists who comprise SDBA. Thank you for sharing your talents and motivating me.

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had gone to this exhibit with you.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments