My Read: "Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing"

When I heard Friends actor, Matthew Perry, had released his memoir, my curiosity was piqued. I am a huge fan. When I heard all he was sharing, while on his book launch PR circuit, I thought "he's sharing too much, what more could the book have to say?" Boy was I wrong!

What a sad story of a lost boy. It was really tough to read but even harder to put down. If you were a fan of Friends you will feel so much for this guy. If you have any addiction experience, this is very eye-opening. It was a page turner for me, for certain, and has allowed me to think of drug problems differently. Whoa. Two thumbs up from me!

This one paragraph seems to sum it up his struggles. Matthew writes, post-surgeries to repair his exploded colon (yes, that was his bottom):

"There are so many scars on my stomach that all I need to do is look down to know that I've been through a war, a self-inflicted war. Once, at some Hollywood function, Martin Sheen turned to me and said, "Do you know what Saint Peter says to everyone who tries to get into heaven?" When I looked blankly, he said, "Peter says, 'Don't you have any scars?' And when most would respond proudly, 'Well no, no I don't,' Peter says, 'Why not? Was there nothing worth fighting for?'"

I am so hopeful for this man who has brought laughter into our homes for decades and I hope he finds something worth fighting for.

"As for my personal life, I'd love to start a family of my own. I think I'd make a great dad, and I think shortly I would make a great husband." -Matthew Perry

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments