Gary Noy's Yosemite Talk...

Certain speakers just grab your attention and hold on to it. Tonight's library presenter is one of those lecturers. Author and Sierra Nevada native, Gary D. Noy, returned with more anecdotes from his newest book, Sierra Stories: Tales of Dreamers, Schemers, Bigots, and Rogues, with the focus of tonight being the Yosemite Valley Grant Act of 1864, which brought the valley under government control and is considered the beginning of the California State Park system.


Being as we had just been to Yosemite, this talk was extremely interesting to me. Gary spoke of the six painters and photographers who popularized Yosemite during the 19th century and influenced the establishment of the state parks and national park system. I learned so much that it is almost overwhelming. I'm happy I have the book as reference. 
Our friend, Gene worked for the state when Caltrans proposed a failed plan to build a bridge over Emerald Bay (1960s) that is documented in Gary's book.

Each audience member left with a history lesson that will not soon be forgotten. I wish I would have had a professor like Gary when I was in college. I'm just happy to have him now.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments