Today began in one of the most inspirational places I have ever been:  Boys Town.  Many people, of a certain age, remember the movie with Spencer Tracy, but to actually be in the place where Father Flanagan began to care for America's unwanted boys almost 100 years ago and see all the history, was truly amazing.  It impacted us.

What drew us to Boys Town was its other claim to fame.  According to the 1955 edition of Ripley's Believe it or Not, the Boys Stamp Club gathered 4,655,000 canceled stamps and created "The World's Largest Ball of Stamps".  I'm a sucker for "The World's Largest" anything.

Now, we are the sole residents, high on a knoll, overlooking the Iowa State Fair in 160 acres of wooded campsites.  The Fair's campground is the only one in Des Moines.  Steve and I had an evening of reconnecting, delicious dining and interesting conversation with my cousin, John and his wife, Pam.  This is where my family started!  Yep.  I'm an Iowa breed.  It is a surprisingly beautiful state and we are enjoying the green and rolling hills.


"No race that does not take care of its young can hope to survive
– or deserves to survive."
Father Edward Flanagan

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sister did you give our cousin my email address? Thanks for birthday card I'm sorry if I'm such a hard head. I want a basket again they are so cute.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments