Butterflies & So Much More...

This was our second time participating in the North American Butterfly Association (NABA) Butterfly Count.

This cool program is a long-term citizen-scientist project, involving thousands of volunteers throughout North America.





We spent the morning conducting a one-day census of all butterflies sighted within our section of South Lake Tahoe.

Jenny and I took so many photographs. It was hard to stop (I took over 100 myself).
 We spotted so many different species. It was a fabulous hunt.
Our group was led by T. Will Richardson, Ph.D., the Co-Founder & Executive Director of Tahoe Institute for Natural Science. We always learn so much when we're with Will. WOW.

At one point we saw pairs of butterflies engaged in some sort of dance. Will stated, "Butterflies are nothing if not passionate!" I never thought of that before but I delighted in that quote.
I am certainly passionate about butterflies.



Besides discovering a plethora of butterflies, we ogled a variety of insects that intrigued us.


I do love dragonflies!

The bees were out in full force and great diversity, too.


We were outstanding in our field.




I even caught an Osprey in flight. So very, very cool.

I write of simple pleasures quite often. Today was a joyful one. Spending the morning in Nature with like-minded people... it really doesn't get much better than this.
“Some people are settling down,
some people are settling
and some people refuse to settle
for anything less than butterflies.”
-Candace Bushnell

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments