A Pony Photo & Memories...

Photos have always been powerful memory evokers for me. Recently, I rediscovered some long stored pictures and this one, in particular, brought a flood of memories to the forefront.

What a ridiculous sight really. Obviously the 14 year old (me) is way too big for the pony on which she rides- oblivious to the ridiculousness. The image was captured in the summer of 1976, on a farm in Iowa. Just weeks prior to this photo being taken, I was fitted for a scoliosis back brace, which unbeknownst to me, I would be enduring for the next 2 1/2 years. At the time, I really hadn't yet got a handle on how to maneuver myself in the contraption I was wearing. From under my chin, to the top of my pelvic bone, I was encased in metal and plastic. I was pretty immobile, which was the goal of the Milwaukee Brace- to hold my spine straight while I finished growing, keeping my curvature from getting worse.

My family never flew anywhere on vacation. In August, we piled into the station wagon for a two week cross country adventure. My parents hail from Iowa, so it was our first stop along our journey. 

I had always wanted to ride a horse. A  reunion on my uncle's farm in Des Moines gave me the opportunity to explore my equine dreams. I was pretty clueless and really didn't think much beyond the moment. I believe the pony was way smarter than me. Once we began our trot, I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't in control. This was an old school farm. One in which outhouses were still used and laundry fluttered in the breeze drying on a clothesline strung between two metal poles.

I was loving the experience until the pony galloped under the clothesline. This would not have been an issue for anyone else, but my new brace prevented me from bending over in such a way as to avoid running directly into the line. Upon impact, I fell back, landing on the ground, and the pony continued on his way. As it turns out, this was the first of several injuries I would sustain due to my brace but the only one that was physical. The other hurts came in the form of stares, limitations in school, rejections at dances and an ever present awareness of being different.

When I look back at that girl smiling on the pony, I remember my optimism (ignorance?) of what was to come. I also knew then that this was something that was a necessity. It is through the challenges in life that we see what were capable of enduring. I'm happy for the photographic reminder of how far I've come.

posted under |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you really learn to maneuver yourself in a Milwaukee. There are things that need to be done, and a Milwaukee is even today probably one of the best choices, but did you really get used to that fixed head position.

Denise said...

It was many years ago, but I did learn to drive and drove to school. I never felt hampered except for being asked to dance at a school function (though I went).

I have a friend whose company (Greensunmedical.com) has created the Whisper Brace, "A revolution in bracing technology — corrective forces meet breathability, flexibility, and comfort!" I wish they would have been there for me. My story is actually told on their website.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments