Wrinkles in My Time...

This was written for my AAUW Talking on Paper gathering that is happening tomorrow.

I've officially reached 56 1/2 years of age, with time to reflect. The mirror seems to be a betraying friend. I'm almost overwhelmed by the creases that have not so gradually appeared upon my face. I know I earned these aging reminders as I did not take care of myself like I knew I should. Maybe it was the fact that I have olive skin and a seemingly inability to sunburn. Or maybe it was because I have a huge head and have struggled to find hats that fit. Or maybe it was the selfish young Denise not watching out for the old Me. Each moment spent looking reveals the errors of my youth. Whatever the cause, I am indeed wrinkled and when I gaze upon my reflection I see, more often than not, my own mother looking back at me.

Shakespeare penned, "With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come." Okay, so maybe that's the cause, maybe I'm more mirthful than my smooth skinned contemporaries. While I'd love to believe that is the cause, I know better. Though I am mirthful, I have only myself to blame!

Olivia Williams said, "My skin may have wrinkles but it's because I'm smiling so much. That might sound like some terrible American Greetings card, but I feel it's immoral for me to castigate my body for getting older, when it does everything I ask of it." With each crease, I do recall events that caused me to smile and each day I awake, I am grateful for my chance to be here even longer. Olivia is so right.

When I think of all the wonderful adventures I experienced in glorious sunshine, I do smile. My life has been fortunate, gleeful and overall incomparably incredible. I wouldn't trade any of it, any day. Oh but I would, if I had the chance to do it all again, wear sunscreen and a hat.


Since there is nothing more to be done about what has already happened, I'll be better protected in the sun and I'll continue to seek out quotes that provide me solace. I especially appreciate the one by Clarence Day who wrote, "Age should not have its face lifted, but it should rather teach the world to admire wrinkles as the etchings of experience and the firm line of character." Admire wrinkles... I like that idea a lot.

posted under |

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to laugh about head size and finding hats to fit. As you know, I have a small head (and thin hair), so its hard to find hats that don't fall over my eyes. But having worn them for decades is paying off. Hopefully Harper will embrace them from a young age. Nic doesn't even wear sunglasses, because it interferes with her makeup. Sigh.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments