Meet My Aunt Margaret

I have to confess, I have no interest in genealogy. The family I focus on are those members who are still living. Sadly, for the last almost 30 years I had forgotten my Aunt Margaret.

When my Dad's Navy career took him away from Des Moines, Iowa, we rarely returned. In 1998, on a Haerr Family road trip across America, we found ourselves in my parents' hometown and we connected with my family there. I had a close relationship with my Dad's aunt, Rosalie (on my left). When we met up she invited Margaret and her daughter Theresa... at the time complete strangers to me.
I have been sending Christmas cards to Margaret ever since not really recalling how we are related. In my last holiday hello, I asked her to remind me of who she is to me. She wrote back with these two photos writing, "Dear Denise, I am your Aunt. I am your Dad's youngest (half) sister. Someday we need to talk!" This mid-1960's photo op was arranged, again by my great Aunt Rosalie, who was the one who tried to hold the family together. I never met any of my other aunts with Margaret being the last Saffell link.
This is the only photo of my Dad's Dad that I have ever seen. The gal with him is his second wife, Margaret's mother, Julie. I met my Dad's mom once sometime before her death in 1967. She was the only grandparent still alive by the time I came along.

Regarding my newly reacquainted Aunt Margaret, I did give her a call and we have had lovely conversations since that initial one. It goes to show it's never too late to make relationships happen. I so value the connection to my Dad she offers. Just another reason to continue to send Christmas cards!

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely story, found family ties! Love the photos!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments