A funeral for a Fallen Soldier...
Steve had to go to Whittier today for business and on the way home he inadvertently became part of a funeral procession.  One thousand motorcycles traveling at 45 miles an hour followed the hearse and limousines.  All on ramps to the freeway were blocked.  At first he was peeved at the disruption, until he passed under the first over crossing.  There atop of the bridge, in full dress uniform, were firetrucks and police vehicles, lights flashing.  There were four bridges equally decorated before the funeral procession exited the freeway in Lake Elsinore.  Steve knew this was someone amazing and it wasn't until he returned home and googled "motorcycle procession to Lake Elsinore" that he understood the magnitude of the event.
Army Staff Sgt. Noah Korte, 29 and a father of two small children, had been deployed to Iraq three times and was less than a month into his first deployment to Afghanistan. He died when his unit came under fire from suspected Taliban sympathizers who also crippled Korte's vehicle with a roadside bomb. In all, three American soldiers died in the attack on December 27th.
The motorcyclists are part of an incredible group called the Patriot Guard Riders who "Stand for those who stood for us". If I had a bike I would join this group whose mission statement begins, "The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security."
My sympathies go to the Korte family and I will cry a little harder the next time I hear Lee Greenwood sing:
And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

posted under |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel so heartbroken after reading this. I'm glad that they do things like this for our fallen soldiers who deserve more than everything in the world, along with those still fighting for our country. xoxo xandra

Nick and Deb's Excellent Adventure said...

What a sad story, as I told you my cousin is heading back over there for tour #4 and we are so worried when he is gone. He is very committed to what he does as all of them are. God Bless them and watch over them all.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments