Operation Sierra Storm...

In order to feel more informed, Bob, Jenny and I, along with many others, attended a very interesting presentation- the 16th annual Operation Sierra Storm.  This leading national weather conference is considered a cutting-edge meteorological forum and seminar for network television meteorologist from around that country.  While much of it was over my head, I learned a great deal.

The first speaker, Virgil Welch, special counsel California Air Resources Board, provided some hope for the future.  He spoke of green house emissions but shared that we were on track for 2020.  He made me happy that he's on the earth's side.
The DWC Group handed out these polling tools and asked us a great deal of questions, dealing with our views.  I thought this was a smart way to prep the keynote speaker so he knew who his audience was before he even began. 
Dr. William Collins is an internationally recognized climate change scientist and a lead author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. He was awarded the 2007 Nobel Peace prize and was the speaker who encouraged me to get up and out for this 8 AM conference.
Dr. Collins shared some pretty frightening statistics.  Yet, even with all his knowledge, he defines himself as an optimist.  He said we are experiencing the darkness before the dawn.

I walked away being more devoted to our planet and hopeful. Tahoe continues to provide us with opportunities that I've not had before and I learned something new.  That's a great way to start a day.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Get new Blog Posts to your inbox. Just enter name and email below.

 

We respect your email privacy

Blog Archive


Recent Comments